As a recent survivor of a holiday with a baby I thought I’d share with you some of the bits and pieces that made our lives a whole lot easier. We had our first family holiday abroad in late April this year. Matt, Luisa and I headed to sunny Crete and had a brilliant week, you can read more about what we got up to here.
Of course you’ll want to pack the true essentials; clothes, nappies, suncream and snacks if your baby is fussy. But there are a few other things that I’d really reccomend you invest in before you go. In fact we found them so helpful I’d now go as far to call them holiday essentials, at least for us anyway.
- Cuddledry SPF50 Plus Poncho Towel* This is really more than a towel, it’s a poncho. Duh. Honestly though I really do rate this product. It’s super soft; absorbent, dries quickly and is useful for popping on a little one around the pool for extra protection from the nasty sun.
- Diono Buggy Buddy Stroller Organiser * In the UK I usually have a changing bag with me everywhere I go and it’s full of all manner of truck but on holiday I wanted to travel a little lighter. This organiser popped on our buggy very easily and held all the essentials with ease; water, suncream, my phone, a hat, snacks, small toys etc. I just shoved a few nappies under the buggy and there was no need to lug a big changing bag around in the heat.
- Spikey Balls, Poundland. Luisa really liked these cheap little balls. They’re about the size of a tennis ball and are fun to play with in the pool or on dry land. They’re really cheap and kept her amused on the plane for a bit too. Definitely a savvy purchase.
- SnoozeShade Original* Our holiday would have been a disaster without this sun shade. It helped keep Luisa safe in the heat and had the added bonus of tricking her into falling asleep on the go. We actually now use it in the UK for that purpose when I need to go out somewhere over nap time.
- Pink Swim Nappy & Sun Top, Zoggs. Keeping with the sun safety theme these two bits were a god send. We could stay in the pool for ages without worrying about Lu getting too much sun and they’re very easy to take on and off. Both dry really quickly and wash well too. I wouldn’t go away again without them.
- Venture Universal Buggy Transport Bag* Given that we had just bought a lightweight stroller specifically for this trip the last thing I was going to do was let Ryan Air trash it. We grabbed this stroller bag on a whim from Amazon, hoping it would answer our prayers. I’m happy to report there wasn’t a mark on our buggy and the cherry on top was the fact that we stashed loads of nappies and towels in the bag so we didn’t go over our luggage allowance – cheeky!
- Mini Paddling Pool, Poundland. I’ve spoken about this beauty before. I don’t think I can say much more on the topic to be honest, read my original post, buy it.
Hopefully this list of holiday essentials will give you some ideas for any trips you have planned over the next few months (lucky bugger) If you pick any of these items up be sure to let me know how you got on.
One more thing you might like to check out if you’re heading abroad with your little terror is a guest post about flying with a baby that I wrote for my friend Leanne’s blog. There’s loads of tips about how to cope at the airport; on the flight itself, what to pack and that sort of thing. Heres the link –> Travelling with Baby — The Flight